Facebook launches a deal service that businesses can use to lure in customers. Local businesses will be able to offer deals when you check in to their place on Facebook. Deals will only be available in the United States at this time.
You’ll see a few different types of Deals: individual deals for a discount, free merchandise or other reward; friend deals where you and your friends claim an offer together; loyalty deals for being a frequent visitor to a place; and charity deals where businesses pledge to donate to a cause when you check in.
Many other businesses are already planning deals in the coming weeks for their U.S. Places, including the following:
- Alamo Drafthouse Cinema: Hosting a free screening for whichever of their movie theaters gets the most check-ins, as well as giving free souvenir Facebook Places pint glasses just for showing that you’ve claimed the deal.
- American Eagle Outfitters: Offering 20 percent off.
- Gap: Giving blue jeans to the first 10,000 customers to claim their deal.
- Golden State Warriors: Inviting those who check in to an exclusive event with a basketball player on the NBA team from Oakland, Calif.
- H&M: Offering 20 percent off.
- JCPenney: Giving $10 off any $50 purchase.
- Macy’s: Offering 20 percent off select merchandise.
- The Palms: Upgrading your room or extending your weekend at the hotel another night–on the house.
If your business doesn’t already reward your customers for ‘checking in’, then maybe it’s time to explore this marketing concept.
Related story: How Facebook Plans to Make Money From Deals (New York Times)